Scholarships & Student Aid
St. Mary's County: One application, hundreds of scholarships!
Visit the site for the St. Mary’s County Business, Education and Community Alliance. The site contains a wealth of information in addition to the Common Application (used to apply for a number of local scholarships) including a list of scholarships managed by BECA, a comprehensive list of available scholarships, links to financial aid and other educational websites.
Cedar Point offers three scholarships through the BECA common application. These three scholarships are established to aid and encourage further education.:
- Beacon Scholarship
- Frank E. Gorely Scholarship: Established in memory of Frank E. Gorley, founding member and first CEO of Cedar Point Federal Credit Union.
- Keepers Club Scholarship: The recipient of this award will serve as an ambassador (name and photo) for our credit union’s youngest members for the coming year.
All parts of the application are due and are submitted electronically no later than midnight, Friday, February 17th, 2023.
Virtual Scholarship Fair
The St. Mary’s County Business, Education and Community Alliance held a Virtual Scholarship Fair on Tuesday, January 24 this year. Cedar Point was proud to present information on our three scholarships for local high school seniors.
Credit Union Foundation of MD | DC Scholarship
The CU Foundation MD|DC, a public charity serving local credit unions and their members, is sponsoring the 2023 $12,000 Credit Union College Scholarship Program. Cedar Point members are eligible to apply! Cedar Point members may apply for one of ten $1,000 essay-based scholarships, one $1,000 video-based scholarship, and/or one $1,000 photo-based scholarship. And yes, eligible members may apply in all three categories!
- Essay. The 2023 topic for essay applicants is: “In life, things can happen fast. “More than two-thirds of people in America are not financially healthy. How would you define financial health? Describe how your credit union has helped you understand how to manage your money.”
- Video. “To be financially literate, or financially healthy, is to know how to manage your money. Show one lesson you’ve learned from your credit union about managing your money.”
- Photo. Photographers are asked to capture an original photograph that represents the credit union core value of “Cooperation”
The deadline for applications is midnight on April 15, 2023. Awards will be announced in June 2023.
Other Scholarship Options
As a reminder, universities also have their own scholarships, grants and work study programs awarded via the information received through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). To explore what the university has to offer you may want to ensure your student meets with a Financial Aid Counselor at the universities he/she is interested in attending.
Information on Federal Student and Parent Plus loans can be found on the Federal Student Aid site. This site provides a plethora of information on student and parent plus federal student loans but can be overwhelming, however the information available here will be very helpful both now and in the future.